Towards A Good Samaritan World

Saturday, October 23, 2004

RELUCTANT ENDORSEMENTS

Christophers Hitchens' endorsement of Bush and Dan Drezner's endorsement of Kerry make for an interesting contrast. If conservatives are going over to Kerry, I suspect that it may be the less appealing kind of conservatives. The lefties coming over to Bush, meanwhile, are the cream of the crop. [UPDATE: On second thought, I shouldn't have suggested that Dan Drezner is the "less appealing kind of conservative." I like Dan: his nerd-professor persona is funny and he's certainly right about trade. By "less appealing kind of conservatives," I really meant John Mearsheimer. I had to read a bit of his book The Tragedy of the Great Powers for a class I was thinking of taking at Harvard. I dropped the class right away, and I didn't finish the book, quickly perceiving that my time could be better spent, but I've hardly ever read anything more repellent. And, despite the "realist" label of the school, more surreal. Meanwhile, the epitome of the "less appealing kind of conservative" is Pat Buchanan, and he endorsed Bush.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home