Towards A Good Samaritan World

Monday, October 02, 2006

"Daniel Dennett was wrong." An interesting post at the blog Conscious Robots. (Denies free will.) Conclusion:

The next step to defeating the tyranny of the selfish replicators isn't, as Dawkins suggests, to start being nice to each other. It's to start being nice to ourselves. To feel good all the time. By getting direct control over our neural pathways so that our conscious minds can achieve their programmed purpose: to maximise the pleasure and minimise the pain.


Fascinating. This kind of thinking, in a nutshell, is why I think places where belief in Darwinism is most widespread behave in such un-Darwinian fashion, i.e., why there are such low birthrates in Europe.

1 Comments:

  • Oddly enough, I feel no temptation to give myself brain damage such that I always "feel good," for much the same reason I'm not attracted to the Buddhist ideal of Nirvana. It appears to me to be self-immolation of the grossest kind.

    I generally name my highest good as being "love" - something that is painful much of the time. I value that pain. Maybe I'm just retarded, or maybe satisfaction for people is a bit more complex than the author of Conscious Robots has bothered to consider.

    In fact, here we have a prime example of a greedy reductionist.

    By Blogger Nato, at 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home