Towards A Good Samaritan World

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

A NEW BLOG HOME (FOR A WHILE)

For the past week, I've been blogging over at Citizen-Journal, with the label "Good Samaritan." I'm not sure whether I'll stay there permanently, but I think I'll try it for a while. It's led to some interesting discussions. On the other hand, I'll have to lay off the radical pro-immigration stuff. Maybe I'll stop by here every now and then to blog about immigration.

On that topic, I like these comments from President Fox:

PRIMING THE PUMP for his meeting with President Bush at the "Western White House," Mexican President Vicente Fox stirred things up again when he told reporters in Mexico City last week that walls along the U.S.-Mexican border were "discriminatory" and "against freedom."

Asked about a fence that U.S. officials are building along the border south of San Diego -- a barrier referred to, by people on both sides, as the "Tortilla Curtain" -- Fox said the structure "must be demolished."

"No country that is proud of itself should build walls ... it doesn't make any sense," Fox said.


Whether these comments are good from the tactical point of view I don't know. (The author of the piece I linked to thinks not.) But I certainly agree with Fox, and I wonder whether other developing-country leaders will follow suit. Developing countries that condemn rich countries for their closed borders have justice on their side. Why not brandish it? (I think India and Brazil have already started doing so during trade negotiations.)

2 Comments:

  • Hi, Lancelot. Hope you had a marvelous honeymoon trip. And congratulations on your marriage!

    I asked awhile back for permission to use some of your writing on economics and work and the poor - remember?

    Just wanted you to know I've just added you to my blogroll at www.highwindow.blogspot.com.

    Looking forward to keeping up with your writings.

    Best wishes,
    Gerry Phelps

    By Blogger Gerry, at 8:57 PM  

  • Gerry's on my blogroll now...

    By Blogger Lancelot, at 7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home